Ravenna City Tour | Between Myth and History
This Ravenna City Tour wants to follow the tracks of Theodoric, the barbarian prince grown up at the court of Constantinople and then become the King of Ostrogoth. We will start with his last remembrance: the impressive Mausoleum, which still raises questions about the architectonical solutions and evokes mysteries around the old king’s death. He came to Italy with the assignment to gain the Roman Empire’s remains, and founded in Ravenna the capital of the Reign of Ostrogoth, lasted for 33 years and rich of peculiarities for that time. The Arians’ Baptistery, the only one in Italy dedicated to this cult, is an example of the diplomacy actuated by Theodoric, dividing the town between Orthodoxes and Arians, with different districts and places of worship. He built up the palatine basilica, now called Sant’Apollinare Nuovo, which offers and incredible snap-shot of the passage between the end of his reign and the rise of Byzantines.
- Group: min. 2 people
- When: every day, every time
- Meeting Point: Teodorico's Mausoleum
- Lenght: 2.00 h
- Language: English, Italian
- Itinerary: Mausoleo di Teodorico- Battistero degli Ariani- Basilica di Sant’ Apollinare Nuovo
- Additional Info: the entrance to the monuments costs 18,5€ per person (it includes the entrance to the Ravenna UNESCO sites for 7 days: San Vitale,Galla Placidia,Battistero Ortodossi,Cappella Sant'Andrea,Sant'Apollinare Nuovo)
Questions & Answers
Hi! I’m James. The itinerary presented looks awesome to me! What should I do now?
Hi James! Fantastic! Then please proceed to the booking. We will ask you to pay immediately only a reservation fee as the resting amount must be paid at the tour guide. Remember to specify the date and time you prefer most. We will confirm the tour as soon as possible.
Good Morning, I’m Charlie. We would like to have a full day tour in order to go learn asmuch as possible about the city. Is it possible?
Hi Charlie! Of course it is! Please write us an email and tell us more about your ideas. We will organize a tour designed for you.